Thursday, April 1, 2010

"Lenten Roses"
oil on canvas
6" x 6"

Here's a little oil painting that I did earlier this week. I've had this Lenten Rose growing in my flower garden for a few years but this is the first time that I've used the blooms in a still life. It blooms so early in the spring that I sometimes miss noticing it altogether. I guess the plant is maturing because it had a lot more blooms on it this year than in years past. They are sweet looking little blossoms, a bit on the shy side (they seem to be looking more towards the ground than the sun for the most part.) They are definitely not a boisterous flower like the daffodils, hyacinths, and tulips that are also blooming away in my yard right now. I've been told that they are called "Lenten Roses" because they bloom during Lent. I'd like to think that they also earned that name due to their meek and mild manner, reminiscent of our dear Savior.

No comments: