Wednesday, November 28, 2007

51st Painting

Orange Spiced Tea
Copyright 2007 Sheila Cantrell
SOLD

Bosc Pears
6" x 6"
Copyright 2007 Sheila Cantrell

Orange Spiral
7" x 5"
Copyright 2007 Sheila Cantrell


Autumn Gourds
6" x 6"
Copyright 2007 Sheila Cantrell

Here's four more of my latest paintings. I counted up yesterday and found that I had just completed my 51st painting for this year, 32 of those since August when I started this blog. I'm enjoying the immediacy of the oil paint. I've spent years doing colored pencil drawings where just a monotone background color involved five, six or more layers of pencil. It's quite refreshing to mix paint, think "that's the color I want", and then paint it in one layer and be done. All of these oils that I've been doing have been alla prima. The spontaneity of putting down one layer of paint and having a finished painting is such a change from the colored pencil work. (At least the way I do colored pencil.)

With the new year approaching, I'm conscious of the need to look down the road and decide where I want to be a year from now. I'm a realist at heart and the paintings of other artists that really cause me to swoon are not spontaneous alla prima paintings. Nope, it's those meticulously done works involving underpaintings and layers of color. So, I'll still do some small daily paintings, but I think that it's time to start some larger paintings and explore the challenge of building up a painting in layers. How much different can it be from layered colored pencil drawings? I guess I'll find out.

3 comments:

Robyn said...

Hi Sheila, I really admire your work as I love painting and drawing realism aswell. I'm taking higher art this year which involves a lot of writing and I have chosen you as my artist that I have to write about. I think your pencil work is amazing and your oils are coming on great! Have you ever tried soft pastel? I think that's a good medium to work in, it's what I'm working with for my first competition piece :D

Robyn x

Sheila Cantrell said...

Hi Robyn, Thanks for your comment. I'm quite flattered that you've chosen me to write about! I'd love to see your competition piece when you're finished with it. I've not tried my hand at pastel, although one of my very favorite artists is a pastelist - if you've never seen G. Daniel Massad's work, look him up on the internet. If you like realism and pastel, then you should love his artwork.

Sheila

Robyn said...

:D thanks, I looked him up, he's really good. I'll be sure to let you see it once it's done, though I think it'll take a while as I have to try and fit it in around homework and studies and a bunch of other things like trying to get a job.. lol