Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder

Red Pears
Copyright 2007 Sheila Cantrell
SOLD

We were gone all weekend, visiting relatives, so I'm just now posting last Friday's painting. I bought these red pears last Thursday at the grocery store. Their vivid redness literally screamed at me when I walked into the produce aisle. Unlike most people who sniff and squeeze fruit before making a selection, I hold individual pieces of fruit up, squinting at them and slowly rotating them, looking for just the right profile. So I purposely selected the little squatty pear that's standing up in this still life. It had a unique roundness to it, with a perky little tip instead of the normal rounded top that most pears have. Anyway, I was quite pleased with the whole effect and how well this painting turned out. It was with suppressed pride that I displayed it for my husband that night. "What do you think?" I asked. After a long silence, he slowly replied, "Well... it's painted alright...but that one pear is just so ugly, it's really distracting."

No comments: